Man jailed following fatal road traffic collision near Ashley Heath

A SECOND motorist has been jailed in connection with a fatal road traffic collision near Ashley Heath.
The collision occurred at around 9.25pm on Thursday June 15, 2023 near to the Ashley Heath Roundabout on the northbound carriageway of the A338. The collision involved a Nissan Micra and a Lexus GS300.
Very sadly the front seat passenger of the Nissan Micra – 31-year-old George Greaves from Hampshire – was pronounced dead at the scene. Two other occupants from the vehicle were taken to hospital for treatment to serious injuries.
Enquiries by officers revealed that witnesses had seen the Lexus and two other vehicles travelling at speeds in excess of 80mph in the moments leading up to the collision.
The driver of the Lexus – 23-year-old Yusuf Muzil from Cricklewood in London – was located following searches near to the collision scene.
He was subsequently charged and on September 29, 2023 he was sentenced to 12 years in prison after admitting causing death by dangerous driving and two charges of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.
Extensive enquiries were carried out by officers from the Roads Policing Team to identify the other two vehicles involved.
The investigation was able to identify the driver of the Mercedes as 30-year-old Dannie Thomas O’Leary, from London.
Following assistance from the Metropolitan Police, O’Leary was arrested in Reading on November 6, 2023 and charged with causing death by dangerous driving and two offences of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.
He entered guilty pleas during a trial at Bournemouth Crown Court on Wednesday (June 12) and was sentenced to 14 years and four months in prison.
He was also banned from driving for 12 years and two months, with the ban due to commence when he is released from prison.
Witnesses described how O’Leary – who was driving a Mercedes AMG – appeared to be racing with the Lexus prior to the collision, with the two vehicles undertaking traffic and swerving between lanes at high speed.
Witnesses described the vehicles as travelling ‘like a bullet’ and several said they felt they were ‘going to kill someone’.
As the two vehicles came up behind the Nissan in which Mr Greaves was a passenger, the Mercedes swerved into the nearside lane to undertake it while the Lexus collided with the nearside of the Nissan, causing it to lose control.
O’Leary did not stop his vehicle and drove off from the scene.
The driver of the third vehicle seen driving at excessive speeds in the moments leading up to the collision, a 29-year-old man from Solihull in the West Midlands, has admitted a charge of dangerous driving and is due to be sentenced at the same court on a date to be fixed.
Sergeant Dave Cotterill, of the Roads Policing Team, said: “Our thoughts remain very much with the family of George Greaves and those who were seriously injured as a result of this collision.
“We have been determined to identify all of those involved in this shocking incident and through our extensive enquiries we have been able to track down the motorists involved and hold them to account.
“Dannie O’Leary’s reckless and inconsiderate driving undoubtedly was a significant factor in causing this collision, which has had truly devastating consequences for the family and loved ones of Mr Greaves.
“We will continue to do everything in our power to identify those who commit offences on our road network and ensure the families of those affected see them face justice for their actions.
“I want to take this opportunity to thank the family of Mr Greaves, as well as the other victims in this case, for the way they have supported this investigation and the dignified way they have conducted themselves throughout the court process.
“I also want to thank the Metropolitan Police for its assistance in locating O’Leary, so he could be apprehended and brought before the court.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *